This is by far one of our most requested how-to’s for setting up Office 365 in an environment. The steps to complete this can be a bit daunting but if you follow them exactly to the letter, you should be able to get your colleagues calendar to show up on your mobile device.
SOME NOTES: We are using 100% Microsoft apps and services here, we recommend you use Microsoft Outlook app for your device, it is a good app that works great with your Office 365 account. This is also for Office 365 Business Essentials customers and up, this is for an organizational email system, not a personal subscription or an outlook.com system.
You must complete all of this from either the Outlook Web App (https://outlook.office365.com). DO NOT complete any of this from your desktop version or mobile version of Outlook as it will not function on your mobile device.
Microsoft and their many links
You will see throughout this article references to .office365.com links. They all are from the same platform. If as you are doing these steps you jump between SOMETHING.office365.com, this is ok. Some you may see while you are doing this all are.
This is the main entry point for everything you can do in Office 365
This is the main link for your Outlook Web App (OWA) or “Webmail”
This is microsoft’s login portal, you may start here after you try and login for the first time, this is a temporary ‘pit stop’ as you navigate through office 365.
To share a calendar with someone using Office 365:
- Open a browser, navigate to http://portal.office365.com and log in to the account
- From the main page, click Calendar to view your calendars
- Along the top of the page, locate the Share button, click it, and then from the menu select the calendar to be shared
- A new pane will open on the right of the page
- In the text field, enter the email address of the person you wish to share with
- After typing the email, change the sharing permissions to your preference then click Share
- The recipient will receive an email with a link allowing them to accept the shared calendar
To accept and be able to view / edit a calendar shared with you using Office 365:
- If the person sharing the calendar started sharing a calendar with you, you’ll receive an email that looks similar to this (see picture)
- Click the Accept and view calendar button, this will enable you to view / edit the calendar
NOTE: If you receive this email in the Outlook 2016 desktop application, there will not be a button for “Accept and view calendar“. Instead there will be a separate button in the application “Open this Calendar“. If you accept the shared calendar using this button, it WILL not show on devices such as your phone or tablet through the Outlook mobile app! It is recommended at this time you accept the calendar share by accessing Outlook webmail by logging in via http://portal.office365.com and clicking the Accept and view calendar button from the email there.
Viewing and accessing the shared calendar from your mobile device (Outlook app):
- Open the Outlook app and sign into the account if you haven’t already
- The default page the app opens to is Mail, tap the Calendar icon to switch to calendar view (See first image)
- From the calendar view, tap the 3 horizontal lines icon in the top left to access view settings for calendars (See Second Image)
- From within the view settings, the shared calendar should be listed, ensure it has a check mark so you can view and access events within it (See Third Image)
That’s it! You should now be able to see the calendar that you shared on your mobile phone. Just as one last note, ALL OF THE STEPS need to be done on Outlook Web App. This is for both the share-ee and the share-er. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to open a ticket with us!