Generally, shared mailboxes will be configured in a way that you individuals are granted easy access, however there are some situations where you may want to directly add the account for some added benefits. This requires a bit of set up but this article will go through the steps to complete this on the Outlook desktop app for Windows.
Please note that if your organization did not intend for you you directly access a shared mailbox using this method you may end up with a duplicate mailbox in your Outlook account list, this can only be fixed by the Microsoft 365 Admin for your organization so check with them before following these steps where possible.
- Open the Outlook desktop app, then click File > Info > Add Account
- When prompted, enter the shared mailbox email address and click Connect
- You should be prompted for a password for the shared mailbox, however they do not have a directly associated password. Instead click Sign in with another account
- Now enter your account email address, click Next and enter your password then click Sign in
- Allow Outlook to finish adding the account, then click the Done button
- Close and re-open Outlook and you should see the additional account you added in the list
Once you’ve added the account and you see it in the list, you can treat it as you would any other regular account. You gain the same benefits on this shared mailbox account as if it were a regular mailbox account. If we missed anything or you have any questions on the content of this article, don’t hesitate to contact us!